Roseland

Roseland

Music

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Journaling

Saturday, July 29th, 2006:
I wonder if blogging will help me journal, something I've started and stopped a number of times over my 50+ years:( My mama, Catherene, was a good writer and, after coming down with Alzheimer's in the last 10 years, has left some of her recollections and thoughts behind. A precious gift for me & for my sister & brothers. We even read them to her time and again, and she laughs.

Keith & I spent the day taking my mama to a peach orchard where she and my daddy used to go numerous times every summer to get peaches. Peaches to make peach cobbler, peach pie, peach ice cream--yum:) Today was a typical hot, Sandhills July day & I couldn't get the idea of mouth-watering peaches out of my mind! We left Apex, traveled to Pinehurst, picked up Mama and headed to Derby with the help of a map. We found the familiar 'stand' pretty easily:) A pleasant surprise; they have added a small ice cream shop inside the old orchard packhouse. So we lingered for 'peach' ice cream around a plastic table and visited a spell (a Mama word). Mama was concerned that Bill (my daddy, long gone to Glory) needed to come get some peaches too!!
I bought a peck of the delicious smelling fruit on our way out, along with a smaller bag to leave at Carolina House of Pinehurst (where Mama now lives), plus a couple of deep red tomatoes. A nice day, all in all:) Good smells, good memories, good peaches!!

No comments: