Roseland

Roseland

Music

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Little acts of kindness

Today I visited my mama. She lives in Pinehurst at Carolina House, an assisted living home, in the Discovery unit. I try my best to go down weekly. Sometimes we go out to lunch, sometimes we drive around Aberdeen or Southern Pines or Pinehurst, sometimes we drop in on my sister and brother who both live on the family farm not too many miles away, or, every now and then, we go shopping.

When I headed south from Apex this morning I decided, spur of the moment, I would take Mama shopping at Walmart for only the second time since she's moved to Carolina House. One big reason to go: it has a wheelchair. I have scoped the Sandhills area and found only 3 places with a wheelchair for customers; Belks, Goody's and Walmart.

One big reason not to go: the last time we went to Walmart, it was difficult. The handicapped parking was full, which meant I had to pull up in front of the store, run in and find a wheelchair, help Mama into the chair, then leave her while I found a place to park. I worried about her forgetting where she was or who she was with while I searched for a space. I finally had to settle on one in the "lower forty":( Seems in a retirement community Walmart tends to be busy all the time! After we finally got in (and Mama was relieved to see me return!) we got along fine, but I was exhausted, and we had only begun!

Today was a treat. The Walmart Greeter gave us his 'best' chair. Then a dear lady stopped and held the wheelchair while I helped Mama from the car. She wheeled her into the store and stayed with her until I parked. And the closest handicapped parking space became availabe just when I needed it---Somebody was looking out for us:) The wheelchair was easy to maneuver and could turn on a dime:) We had a grand time checking out isle after isle of items in every size and shape and color. We bought a blue brush, a blue knit shirt, and pink and blue socks--she loves pink and blue:)

A day shopping at Walmart can be quite a gift, especially when strangers perform little acts of kindness:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Usually Lowes and Home Depot have wheelchairs, too! They come with big baskets that fold down over the lap of the one in the chair - in case you ever want to take your mom shopping for paint! :)