Roseland

Roseland

Music

Saturday, May 12, 2007

May/Honeysuckle

I noticed this week the honeysuckle is blooming--what a heavenly, delicious, smell to me:) It reminds me of my childhood, when my brothers and sister and I would try to eat the minute droplets of honey contained in the honeysuckle flowers. What a lot of effort for so little, but time meant nothing then, and we thought the taste was worth it:)

Years later Keith & I annually welcomed a dear, " New England Yankee", Catholic, friend who fell in love with the smell of honeysuckle and the friendliness of the South, and would plan his trips to NC in May. (BTW, he was the last Allen in the line of the famous Nathan Allen)

He loved our area so much he even tried living in Raleigh for a brief time, but he was legally blind and, in the end, Raleigh didn't offer enough mass transit for him to stay:( He died some years ago but I think of him this time of year and feel blessed to have known this good friend, George Allen.

Wonder if there's honeysuckle in Heaven? I know George would be sitting nearby:)

No comments: