Roseland

Roseland

Music

Monday, December 31, 2007

The Big Tree


This is the 'big tree' at the end of Moffit Road in New Castle, Pa. It is a grand,
majestic tree, spreading it's broad, proud limbs in every direction. I eagerly anticipate walking to the 'big tree' when I'm visiting my in laws.

It is a landmark that has been my walking focus for many years. I first walked to it with my father in law, but as the years have passed, Dad became a bit slower, and now has finally retired from hiking. Now I go alone, but once in a great while someone will join me. Last week my daughter Skye came along.

I've seen the 'big tree' in the summer and winter, in the snow and the rain, surrounded by fog and under warm sun, richly covered with green foliage, and looking quite elegant displaying graceful bare branches.

I'm not sure what type of tree it is, but it's lovely. Cornfields are nearby. Rolling hills surround it. Clouds overhead cover it like a canopy. Moffit Road leads towards or away from it, depending on your perspective. A few people live along the road, in sight of the great giant. It is a splendid tree, and it makes my walk an inspired one.

"I think that I shall never see
A poem as lovely as a tree...
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray..." Joyce Kilmer

I'll always hear Dad's voice asking, "Are you walking to the 'big tree' today? Wish he could still come along.....I think he is in spirit:)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: