Roseland

Roseland

Music

Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Sizzling Summer

Since Skye's graduation, life's been pretty exciting around here:)
I've blogged about our fun NYC weekend, still bringing back sweet memories even as I write this--thanks so much to my family for helping with such a memorable gift:)

The following weekend, June 5th, Skye came home, & with Keith & I, helped celebrate a church family wedding, Josh & Anna's, who both grew up at Peace:)
Last Saturday I attended a baby shower for another church couple's daughter, Kristina.
Precious milestones for our friends' children:)

June 20th was Father's Day. Cameron, Holly, Seth, & Kelley & Three came over for a hot dog lunch:) They gave Keith a pretty ceiling fan/light for the living room:) I think I made out on that deal as well:)

This week dear old friends from our upstate NY days dropped by on a southern vacation trip & stayed for a few nights:) I'm afraid the record NC heat wave was not welcoming, but what a great blessing to catch up on Patty & Peg's news after almost 30 years!! I can't tell you how good it was to see them!

Patty was in our youth group when we lived in NY, & Peg is her mom. After we moved back to NC, Patty came to live with us for about a year (in 1980).
Peg is 80 years young; a pretty, petite lady, who is as gracious as any southern woman & as mentally sharp & alert as ever! Patty teaches elementary education at a local prison (near Stone Ridge), has a Spaniel named Bella that she adores, loves her free summers, & seems to be recuperating well from health problems she's experienced in the last few years.
We enjoyed dinner at Tribeca Tavern Wednesday evening, along with Cameron, Seth, & Kelley. Even in this terrible heat wave we dined outside on their upstairs porch, cooled by ceiling fans. The food was delicious:)
Thursday, Keith & 'us girls' toured the new NC Art Museum. (I haven't decided how I feel about it. Maybe I'll blog my thoughts another time) Afterward Patty, Peg, Keith, & I enjoyed a light lunch at Carolina Cafe in Cameron Village followed by shopping at The Seagrove Pottery store, which I always think is a treat:) Then it was nap time, the best idea when it's 100 degrees! Hot weather is exhausting.

Since the temperature was still unrelenting that evening, P, P, & I voted not to attend the Peace tournament softball game with Keith & Seth, choosing instead to have a light supper here, while continuing to catch up on far too many years apart.
(Thankfully the team won, so I'll get to see the final games:))

Friday morning the girls said goodbye after a late breakfast & headed out to Roanoke, Va., where Patty's uncle/Peg's brother lives, & where they'll spend the weekend before traveling home to upstate NY. Hopefully they'll find cooler weather!

Friday afternoon I went in to work till 5pm. At 6pm Christy & George (my sister & brother in law) & their twin granddaughters Harley & Kendyll, picked me up to go see Rascal Flatts in concert at Walnut Creek in Raleigh:) (Niece Amy had generously provided tickets--bless you Amy!!) Keith opted not to go, deciding to enjoy his recliner in the cool AC instead:)
Rascal Flatts were kicking off their 2010/Tenth Year Tour last night, & I must say they put on the best concert I've ever seen--sizzling in more ways than one! (BTW Chris Young & Kelly Pickler opened & they were very good as well) The music was GREAT, & the visuals were AMAZING!! Video screens moved & videos of gorgeous painted scenes & beautiful woods scenes changed throughout each song, plus the video graphics in between & at the end were astounding.
Can't say enough!!! WHOA! A feast for the eyes & ears!

So today is a respite day.
A quiet day.
I will be honest. Even with all these exciting events, seeing old friend, being with family, I've struggled with a disgusting nagging cough that has hung on for months, AND being diagnosed with diabetes (I've mentioned here previously). Both those health situations, plus changes=stress at work, have left me fighting off some depression.
This week the cough finally seems to be letting up, thank the Lord.
And, many people have been encouraging in my struggle with the diabetes diet.

Prayer, sweet moments with dear ones, celebrations, glorious music, all lift my spirits.
God sends us blessings each day that make our hearts' sing, if we listen:)

1 comment:

Christy said...

I think you and Keith need to take a trip to the mountains alone and just breathe in that fresh mountain air. Go biking if you want. Take a break from the rest of the world. Just the two of you. Just rest, relax and read. Go out to eat. Doesn't that sound peaceful and refreshing?