Roseland

Roseland

Music

Sunday, January 08, 2012

A Big Tractor Week


Years ago, Keith's nephew Nick would help Grandpa mow the yard & at the end of the day, he'd sigh & say, "Grandpa, it's been a big tractor day!!".

Well, this past week+ has been a "big tractor week" with my lung biopsy/surgery. First time for major surgery, other than a C-section with Skye 24 years ago.

Tuesday:
Pre-op day at Duke Raleigh. Keith & Skye spent hours sitting with me while I answered questions of every sort & was being informed of what to expect the following day.
Such a bitter cold day in the midst of a mild winter.
Afterward a nice gentleman drove us from the main hosptial to Dr. Chang's office in a golf cart--I kidded him about using his air conditioner--burrrr!
We all came home & took a nap!

Wednesday:
Keith & I headed back to Old Wake Forest Road, arriving about 10am, where we proceeded to the Same Day Surgery Waiting Room. I was fasting, so no coffee for me--& I was craving a steaming hot latte.
After about 20 minutes, we were called back to the pre-surgery cubicle. The nurse began the IV's while I signed papers, answered more questions, etc.
Skye joined us before I was wheeled away to surgery.
I remember being parked on the gurney in a hallway, evidently near the OR.

After surgery:
When I woke up Dr. Chang was standing over me telling me all had gone well. He looked alien-like in his green surgery scrubs. My next memory, I was in ICU, a tiny room with large machinery. Bruce, an ICU nurse, was so attentive to me all evening & through the night:) Encountered quite a few male nurses during my stay, which was so different from 24 years ago!:)
Family came in at various times...
Keith spent the night in the ICU Waiting Room, attempting to sleep.

Thursday:
After a night in the hectic ICU--I myself setting off beepers & monitor bells & whistles, plus all the whirrs & buzzes that occur simply from spitting out readings every 5 minutes--it was time for breakfast. My nurse insisted I needed "real" food, so sent back the liquid diet that had been delivered. Can I tell you how delicious pancakes & sausage can be after fasting for 24 hours & going through surgery? Yum.
Keith & Skye arrived:)

Rev. Andy stopped in to check on me before taking Mrs. Rev. to NYC for a "wild" weekend:) Loved chatting about NYC since it's a favorite place of mine:)

By 11am a private room had been found, so I was unhooked from "various & sundry" & taken from the 1st floor to the 5th. As soon as I got settled in, it was down to the basement(?) for a chest x-ray; at least I graduated from a portable bed to a wheelchair for the basement trip:)
After the x-ray, back to the room, a quiet, calm room. Still tethered by a few things, but much freer than ICU. Nap time, sleep time:)
Seth, Kelley, & Cameron came at some point:)
In the evening Lou & Lorraine & Ralph dropped in--felt pretty good, loved good company:)
Keith asked Skye to stay Friday night.
I still needed help getting to the bathroom by myself.

Friday:
Woke up feeling funky. Spent the day dealing with nausea & grogginess. Ugh.
Diet all day? Diet Pepsi & crackers.
Sent out an email asking anyone that wanted to visit to call ahead. Only Seth came, in the afternoon. He sat with his iPad while Keith & I slept. (Skye & Cameron came later for a while) Nurse Sue was so kind--tried every way possible to help me.
The evening nurse turned off the lights & didn't check on us for hours--we needed the peace & quiet, & uninterrupted sleep.

Saturday:
Breakfast was coffee, pancakes & sausage, but this time I only wanted the pancakes. The nurse took away my last two "teethers". Dr. White came by about 9am, Dr. Chang's partner, to discharge me.
Let me say, I was so impressed that Dr. Chang & his PA Katie came by twice every day--amazing!

By 10:30 Keith & I were packed & heading out the door of Duke Raleigh, into the sunshine:)My tummy was better, time to rest & heal.
BTW, did you know that your right lung has 3 lobes & your left lobe has two? Never knew that till this week!


News from Dr. Chang's PA this week: All lymph nodes were clean, & the tumor was a carcinoid cancer.(See http://www.cancer.org/cancer/lungcarcinoidtumor/detailedguide/index)

Bless the Lord, oh my soul, & all that is within me, bless His Holy Name.

No comments: