Roseland

Roseland

Music

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Horse movies

I'm not sure why but I am a sucker for a horse movie.
I must say that there are at least 4 horse films that rank in my top 10 favorite movies.

Keith & I just finished watching "Dreamer", with Kurt Russell, Elisabeth Shue, & Dakota Fanning. Sonador is a red filly who is injured and threatened to be 'put down', but finds her advocate/redeemer in a young girl named Cale. Sonador means "Dreamer" in Spanish. A sweet story, surprisingly well made & acted, full of heart.

"The Horse Whisperer", "Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken", and "Seabiscuit" are my other favorites. All beautifully written & filmed, "Seabiscuit" & "Wild Hearts", like "Dreamer", are based on true events.
I recommend all of them!

Why are I drawn to horse stories?
Maybe because I grew up with a red mule?
Maybe because I love animals?
"Red" worked around our farm, and I think I figured mules/horses are a lot like large dogs (I love dogs, and cats and birds). As I grew older it broke my heart when my daddy sold Red. (Money must have gotten tight) And to make matters worse, Red ran away from his new owner, a neighbor, and found his way back home, just for my daddy to turn around and send him right back:( Whoa:(
That took me a while to get over--or, maybe....I'm not over it?

I've never yearned for the responsibility of owning/caring for a horse, but love riding when I get a chance (which isn't often), enjoy watching horses romping and grazing in a pasture. I think they're elegant, graceful, majestic animals, with beautiful liquid eyes that melt my heart:)

Who knows, maybe my love affair began with Roy's Trigger?
Not sure, but....
Happy Trails!

1 comment:

Supersmock said...

I was a big fan of Dreamer myself!