Roseland

Roseland

Music

Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Summer Of Weddings & Looking Back At the Summer of '69

 

The summer of 2009 is turning into a summer of weddings for Keith & me:) It's probably not an unusual number, but for some reason this summer each wedding seems to be a welcome, uplifting, break in routine for me. It's a time to think of hope & great joy; of a family being created, of the eagerness of two people embarking on a lifetime of dreams to be dreamed, and God willing, fulfilled together, even disappointments & sorrows to be weathered together:)

This photo was taken June 13th at the reception after Amanda Corbin's marriage to Justin, a handsome young Charlotte policeman. The previous weekend Caroline Hanson wed Nathan from Nashville, and July 11th Stephen Haynes will marry his sweetheart. All three are from our church family.
We've also been invited to Peter Lanier's wedding (son of longtime friends) which will be held in Boone the 18th of July, the same day that friends & I are giving a wedding shower for my dear friend Kathy who will walk down the aisle August 22nd:)

Maybe the reason I'm feeling nostalgic about these weddings in 2009:
Forty years ago Sunday, August 3rd, 1969, on the hottest day you can imagine (and the most sultry), Keith & I were married in a tiny country church in the Sandhills of NC. We were so young, 22 & 19. A simple ceremony & frugal; cotton dresses--white for me, yellow & orange for the bridesmaids, we carried daisies, had no photographer. Rev. Green officiated, a pastor from a nearby town standing in for my vacationing preacher. No reception. And then off we went to live in upstate NY, a place my mama thought was on the other side of the world!

What an adventure!
(Little did we know Woodstock would be such an historical event, as we moved into a mountain cottage less than 50 miles of Max Yasgur's 600 acre Farm 2 weeks before it all began!)

Forty years later (could it be that long!)I'm thankful to celebrate a milestone anniversary:) And to celebrate with 3 great children, a wonderful DIL, & Cameron's girlfriend Holly:) We are blessed.
Besides trying to find a B&B in the mountains for a weekend get-away in the fall, we're thinking of going to The Melting Pot in Raleigh with Cameron & Holly, Seth & Kelley & Skye--don't you think that's appropriate for a hot & humid August anniversary?:)
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

dlfogleman said...

melting pot is great, my family went several years ago, we had a great time. nice slow meal. lots of time for talking. congratulations on 40, blessings on 40 more. love

bcMc said...

Linda, since you were in our wedding, I loved you commenting!
You've been my friend through many years!
Love you:)

Christy Lawson said...

You did have a reception at Uncle Cliff's & Aunt Gala's house. Or was that a rehearsal thingy? Anyway it was very nice.
I love Bryan Adams Summer of 69!
Also, Robert and I went to a great B&B in the mountains years ago and I liked it so much, Mama & Daddy went later. They loved it too. It had the quaintest little town. I can't remember the name but it seems like it was Black Mtn. Does that sound familiar? It was the neatest place. Old style, big living room & dining room and awesome rooms with old footed tubs. But also a swimming pool.