Roseland

Roseland

Music

Sunday, October 25, 2009

October Beach Trip

 

Keith & I spent this past weekend with our friends Judy & JE and Linda & Dean on Oak Island:) The weather was primarily overcast, we had showers now & then, but among friends it was a lovely time!

Ahhh...
We packed our bags & our bikes & headed southeast early Friday afternoon for a leisurely road trip to the coast:)I was so ready after a tiring week! I think Keith was feeling exactly the same:)

And on the way down we stopped by my Aunt Isabelle's for a brief, but sweet, visit. She met me at her door with a "I wasn't sure I'd ever see you again!". Now that's worth a few minutes any day, any time!! She is as sharp as ever, reporting on most of the nieces & nephews as well as her 10 children, all my Robeson cousins:)She had been crocheting, sitting in her chair by the window waiting for whatever the day brought:)

Linda & Dean & Keith & I arrived near Southport about the same time that evening, so I called Linda, Linda called Judy & JE, who hopped in their SUV & drove inland to meet us at a Southport waterfront restaurant for supper. Such a pretty place at dusk to dine on such delicious seafood!
Afteward we followed Judy & JE's onto the Island.

Judy & JE have built a beautiful home near First St. &, as often as time allows, they are 'in residence':)
Judy could actually hang out a B&B shingle since she & JE invite family & friends to visit year round. Plus she's a great cook; she plans & bakes brunch for her guests each morning--or she always does for us:)!! Homemade bread, breakfast casserole, pound cake, coffee, fruit salad, etc.:)

Most importantly, we catch up on each others' lives with 'us girls' reminiscing about our younger days growing up together, Judy & Linda talking 'grandma stuff' & knitting (which they're both learning to do) & gardening--while I soak it in:) Lord willing I'll talk grandma things someday, don't plan to knit, & gardening is something I admire but it's not one of my passions.....listening is fine:) The fellas watch whatever game is on & seldom talk; they do now & then.

This is our third time of re-uniting at the beach & what a blessing each visit has been!

Judy's health is stable at this time, but she is dealing with a serious diagnosis, which makes each of us concerned about how she's faring. JE says she's doing so well her Dr. may publish a paper on her positive response to treatment:)!
(So many of my family members have dealt with the same health issue that I tend to feel I'm in it with her--but, having a high percentage of contracting an illness is different from being diagnosed; that is truly another story)
Judy is handling her situation with such grace & optimism, & any of her struggles she covers well.
How grateful we are she's doing so well, but know it's a hard, daily battle!!
Judy, you're one of my hero's!!
You are amazing.

JE, Dean, Linda, & Keith & I are simply dealing with the aches & pains of growing older....we can't complain too much, but will share our latest ache if the subject comes up:)
LOL!

We ate, we talked, we laughed, the girls shopped, the guys watched football, Dean ran, JE walked, Linda & Judy walked, Keith & I rode bikes, we played Sequence, we ate out, we nibbled goodies, we drank coffee, & tasted Lu-Mill wine--and talked some more!:)

Such a relaxed time:)
I can't say I slept great (simply not sleeping in my own bed), but being with friends with no expectations, no time limits, no alarm clocks, no watches, is so peaceful....:)

After saying goodbye to Judy & JE about 1:30 this afternoon, Dean & Linda & Keith & I stopped by the Lou-Mill Winery in Dublin on our way home. We sampled their selections & bought Christmas wine, jelly, salsa, & tasty Scuppernong cider:) Keith & Dean hefted our boxes of wine & goodies to our cars, we said our goodbyes, & headed toward Aberdeen & Raleigh.....a pleasant way to end the weekend:)

Nothing like sharing a few days with friends that know you through & through & like you in spite of it, that care for you & your families & want a full account of all the goings-on, that support you through thick & thin, & always welcome you with open arms, no matter how long it's been since you've seen one another:)

Judy & JE, Linda & Dean, thank you!
Take care till we meet again:)

"What happens at the beach stays at the beach"---the details, that is:)


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You summed it up beautifully, thank you. We did have a great time and look forward to many more visits together.