Roseland

Roseland

Music

Sunday, November 01, 2009

A Visit From The Past

 
Yesterday, out of the blue, I received a Facebook email post. Beth was looking for Keith & me:)
Little Beth, young---or that's how I picture her still in my mind, long dark hair, a few freckles, a smile, & twinkling dark brown eyes:)
One of our youngest youth group kids, from NY:)
Surprisingly, a few of the younger ones are the ones that have touched base with us through the years....

We found out later she had Googled my name & found my home church's website (ironically designed by my sister!).
Amazing:)
I called the cell phone number she had left for me. She's been in Durham working with the UMC Judicial Board this week. No voice mail. But, she saw I had called & rang me back when she finished her meeting. I knew her voice immediately! We both chattered over each other & giggled & laughed we were so excited to connect!

She was busy writing summaries or something to that effect all afternoon, had plans for last night & church this morning, but she could meet us for lunch.
Lunch, in Durham, near Durham??
The only restaurant that came to mind was Crackerbarrel...near the airport.
Would that work? She asked her friend, Belton Joiner, who was her transportation.
He said he could find it.
Belton Joiner, a former Raleigh area UMC District Superintendent--I recognized the name:)

I asked my boys & Kelley & Holly to come & meet Beth.
But disappointing to me, the place was so busy we had to sit separately:( Maybe that was the way it was supposed to be...
The three of us, Beth, Keith, & I sat at our table for more than 2 hours (the kids said goodbye/glad to meet you Beth & disappeared at some point). We were intent on catching up, knowing our time was limited; I'm not quite sure if we knew what we ate... She had to meet her next ride at 4:30.
A whirlwind conversation, but so encouraging, so uplifting, so precious.
To know dear people with which we shared 4 years, or less, still thought of us, still took the time to look us up, still crossed their minds---that moves me, warms my heart:)

Beth, we're proud of you! So gutsy to become a lawyer, to raise a daughter single-handedly, to crusade for Justice & Reconciliation:)

Till we meet again:)
May the Lord bless you & keep you.
)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a blessed reunion, what a wonderful week-end you have had. Seeds planted long ago, growing into beautiful flowers to today.