Roseland

Roseland

Music

Monday, December 21, 2009

Precious Gifts

 
Today Lorrie Davis Netzley & Craig Netzley dropped in to spend a few precious hours with Keith & me:)
Our third contingency of former UMC youth kids from upstate NY coming here!:)
Could we have asked for better gifts, than to have at least 4 of our friends/youth from our 'honeymoon days' in NY come to see us this fall, our 40th year of marriage?!

I have yearned to see our kids throughout the years, dreaming of a reunion, but have lost touch with many. I prayed for them, wondering how each was faring, especially our last group of young ones that we knew the shortest amount of time--left behind....

Today, if I had not been in the midst of Christmas mayhem in the center of Hallmark when Lorrie & Craig walked in, I would have wept buckets....of joy! I must admit a few tears were shed:)
Lorrie & Craig, after spending most of the years married to other spouses or divorced from a spouse, were married this August, so are newlyweds:)

Craig's sister 'Dia' & her son Brett brought Craig & Lorrie to us:) (They live about 40 minutes away). Bless you Dia:)

At first I couldn't connect with Keith; his new Droid battery had run down:( But Skye found him to tell him the news. Then I needed to track down my manager Yvonne (who was at the bank) to plead for a lunch hour in the midst of the busiest day of the season:(
But, all worked out. Keith appeared in no time, and Yvonne sent me off to enjoy lunch if I promised to bring back potato soup for her.

We ate outside at Panera's (no room inside). It must have been 50 degrees today, but we didn't care. We talked & talked & listened & grinned & laughed & loved it all:)!
Sadly, at some point I had to return to reality & report back to work, so hugged all with great reluctance, then dashed back to Hallmark. But Keith took everybody home where the reunion continued for another couple of hours:) Everybody got to meet Skye as well:)

Craig & Lorrie's group ate & dreamed the folk music of the late 60's & early 70's. We spent hours practicing music & presenting folk services:) They were a talented bunch of kids!
Our church sponsored a coffeehouse (mentioned here before) the youth group participated in, volunteered in recycling at the town dump before it was politically correct, were always part of the Community Easter Sunrise Service----basically we simply liked doing things together!
The youth group was our family.

Lorrie was our next door neighbor while we lived in Olive Bridge:) Her mom & dad made us feel right at home from the start. We even helped Mr. Davis cement a swimming area for his newly laid out campground. A wonderful family:)

Beth, Janie (& Louise), Craig & Lorrie, the LORD sent you to us & we needed to see you! Each visit has been a precious gift to Keith & me:)

It melts my heart that you cared enough to stay in touch. It makes me weep to think how sweet our time together was 35-40 year ago, & continues today when the rare opportunity arises:)
Bless y'all.
Praying we'll all be united one day singing "Cum Bah Yah" & "Michael Row The Boat" & "Sloop John B", "Blowing In The Wind", etc.:)
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Christy Lawson said...

Brenda I must confess I haven't read your blog lately and so tonight when I finally sat down and read it and realized this great gift that you talked about, it really got to me and I have sniffled through this and I am just amazed at the impact you and Keith made on those youth all those years ago. You all were truly family and I remember hearing about these youth and being jealous of them cause you were gone and I missed you and they had you and now I realize how much they meant to you and how blessed you all were to have each other! You know I never had youth group at our church and I know how important that is. Youth group can change lives and paths of young people. I truly believe that and I am sure you and Keith may a huge impression in many of these young people's lives.

Christy Lawson said...

Brenda I must confess I haven't read your blog lately and so tonight when I finally sat down and read it and realized this great gift that you talked about, it really got to me and I have sniffled through this and I am just amazed at the impact you and Keith made on those youth all those years ago. You all were truly family and I remember hearing about these youth and being jealous of them cause you were gone and I missed you and they had you and now I realize how much they meant to you and how blessed you all were to have each other! You know I never had youth group at our church and I know how important that is. Youth group can change lives and paths of young people. I truly believe that and I am sure you and Keith may a huge impression in many of these young people's lives.