Roseland

Roseland

Music

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Oh Mercy!

Let me whine a little. I'll feel better:)

I am tired of this summer already, & it's just arrived four weeks ago.
It's hot.
It's so hot, it's depressing & oppressive.
Not only hot, it's been hot for so long it's exhausting....& it's only July 22nd.
(Dare I think about August?)
Unrelenting heat.
100 degrees is becoming normal in every weekly forecast.
The low 90's is a cool spell, a respite, the weather people say....
We're headed for a record of 90+ degree days in NC.
And I haven't even mentioned humidity yet.
Sigh....
Doesn't it make you tired? Makes one yearn for cool breezes & cool evenings & a cool rain.

The temperature colors every conversation, every newscast, every thought of walking or biking, at least for Keith & me. Actually we've given up on biking this summer. It was too cold this winter, too wet this spring, now too hot:( Maybe fall will be our season?
I have to walk Wyatt each morning. If not, I simply can't get motivated in the evening. So now I get up early even on my days off, to take him out by 6am, or else he'll have heatstroke!

I'm sure we had plenty of hot spells when I was growing up. We didn't have air conditioning either. But, kids aren't affected like adults. Then again, adults, if possible, rested inside with the curtains drawn or sat out on the porch with a fan, & didn't pretend to work during the heat of the day back then. Work was done primarily early in the morning & late in the afternoon during the summer months. Today we must be doing something constantly, rushing here & there, non-stop (or we feel guilty). Maybe we should slow down & be still & pace ourselves. I mean, we do have August & September to get through.

I'm already praying for mercy; cooler air, gentle rains, thunderstorms, trips to the mountains, or a visit to any place that offers a respite, & last but not least, for patience--& for fall to arrive sooner than usual!!









No comments: