Roseland

Roseland

Music

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Day The Earth Shook

Thought I better journal about the earthquake yesterday for posterity. I mean it hasn't happened on the East Coast in 67 years!

Tuesdays I'm usually off work & yesterday was no exception. I had decided to begin stripping the wallpaper in my master bath--I'd been thinking about doing it for a few years, but kept putting it off. Then recently we realized we have a leak in our shower & must replace our tiles. So since our tile man, Jeff, may start work this weekend (& I had two days off in a row--a rarity), I knew the time was right to DO it.

Tuesdays I also usually meet my lunch buddies to eat together & catch up on news, so I called Lorraine to check on our time & place. Nancy's away this week in NY settling her mom's estate. Jeannette can't always come, but she was free yesterday & told Lorraine she wanted to go to Crabtree Valley Mall for a change (we usually meet at Cary Mall). Lorraine wanted to go to Crabtree also, but I hesitated. I wanted to start my project. In the end I decided to drive over to meet them for lunch only, while they would walk beforehand & shop a little.

I began on the bathroom & worked for a couple of hours. The wallpaper wasn't budging--what painful slow going!! Finally got to a stopping point, cleaned up the strips of paper, got my shower, & headed to Crabtree about 12:30.
We were meeting at Panera, one of our favorite restaurants, whether at Crossroads or Beaver Creek or Crabtree.
After ordering, finding a table, lo & behold, Seth & Kelley walked in! Ironic, especially since they showed up at Panera at Crossroads the last time my friends & I met there:)! Too funny:)

After S&K ate & left to return to work, we were still talking when I suddenly realized the table & chairs were shaking!! I commented that we were NOT on the top floor (where oftentimes a crowd of people walking can cause vibrations), so why were we feeling the bottom floor moving??? It seemed to last at least 30 seconds or more.
They felt it too. It was a puzzle.
But, we didn't think much more about it after it stopped, & no one around us did either.
Later, while looking around in JJill, a sales associate asked if anyone in the store had felt an earthquake. I raised my hand & said I HAD! Her friend had just called, telling her there had been an earthquake!
Amazing! And hard to take in.

I called Keith as soon as I got to the Cruiser. Was there really an earthquake? He said yes! Attempted to call Seth but couldn't get him on his iPhone--too many folks making calls. Wondered if he & Kelley had felt it too...(later Seth said they didn't; he felt cheated)

After getting home the TV station news was on live reporting about the 5.8 earthquake. The epicenter was located in northern Va.!
What a day!! Thankfully only damage to some buildings, including the National Cathedral in DC & the Washington Monument.

Hard to believe the vibrations were felt so far, from S.C. to Mass.!!
And shook my table in Raleigh!
Makes me think about taking my "earthly home" for granted.





No comments: