Roseland

Roseland

Music

Monday, August 01, 2011

A Summer Of Testing

The last few weeks have been strange. My health may be in jeopardy & it's worrisome. I'm not losing sleep but it consumes my thoughts when I'm not busy.

About a year ago I mentioned to my doctor I had a cough that just wouldn't so away. She decided to send me to a radiologist for a chest CAT scan. I'd been coughing for months & couldn't shake it. Figured it was sinus related. Dr. Jordon put me on Prilosec & Zertec (which have helped quite a bit)---& to make absolutely sure she was covering all the bases, she referred me to an Endocopist (Dr. Ready), in addition to ordering the CAT.
Two weeks ago I underwent an endoscopy, where I fell in love with Demerol:) A simple test, pain free with wonderful sleep:) Dr. Ready thought everything looked good.
I could have slept on for days:)

By this April I'd had 2 or 3 CAT's , so last week I had one more. The area, the tiny "spot" they had been watching in the lower half of my right lung, all of a sudden showed up active. A whole .8 mm larger than months before:( The radiologist was alarmed enough to recommend to Dr. Jordon I have a Thoracic surgeon consultation. The test was at 10am, Dr. Jordon was giving me the news by 6pm the same night, & she called personally to relay the results. She said she thought I might be jumping through hoops & going in circles & nothing might come of it, but she urged me to check things out.

The next day Duke Thoracic Surgery, located on Old Wake Forest Road, called, per Dr. Jordon's request, to set up at appt.
By 9am last Thursday I was in Dr. Chang's office discussing options. He suggested a PET scan, a biopsy, or removal of the mass. We both agreed on the PET scan option as a first step. I'm scheduled to have it this Thursday, August 4th. Hopefully the results will make further decisions easier.

From all I've read a PET scan involves an hour of "waiting" beforehand, an hour of scanning, then an hour of "waiting" afterward--I'm not a good "waiter":(


It's a comfort that my doctor is on top of things.
It's a comfort so many people are concerned & are praying.
The effective, fervent prayers of righteous women avails much.
(paraphrased from James 5:16)

I'm scheduled to talk with Dr. Chang Monday morning, August 8th.
To be continued.....



No comments: