Roseland

Roseland

Music

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Memories of a NC Fire

Years ago, eons ago, the Sandhills farming community of Roseland, where I grew up, had a devastating fire. It was in April of 1963, I believe, and my baby brother was tiny enough to be in diapers. The reason I remember that is because we left our house so quickly we didn't even grab extra diapers:( Of course I was twelve then and wouldn't have been thinking too clearly!

And my mama was away, had been to Raleigh with my Grandma Blue, for a recognition dinner in honor of women nominated as N. C. Mother of the Year, of which my Grandma was one--now that was pretty neat:) And my daddy was working second shift at the textile mill in Aberdeen.

We had an older couple sitting with us, the Throwers, who panicked when they heard about the fire, so they packed us into their car and figured they'd "skedaddle" to their house to save what they could.

Amazingly my daddy appeared before the Throwers pulled out of the driveway and he began throwing our bikes and whatever else he could think of, or reach, into the newly plowed field beside the house. (The mill had let folks go home to save what they could) He decided to stay with our house and hose it down until the danger had passed.

So off we went, stopping at the Throwers, heading from one neighbor's house to another, till we found a neighbor's home where folks were congregating and figuring out what to do--my friend Kay's house, about 8 miles away, in Narrow Ridge.

As the evening wore on, my mama was experiencing great distress trying to make her way home. There were roadblocks set up to keep everyone out of harm's way. She had a dickens of a time getting through, especially since the smoke was pretty bad, but "nobody can stop a mama when she's looking for her family"! Daddy must have told her we set off with the Throwers, but where did we go?! She had no idea. I guess she drove and asked around, eventually figuring it out:) Whew!

By nightfall we heard on TV that a chainsaw spark had ignited the fire and it had spread over acres and acres of dry land. I was intrigued that we were watching our community on TV getting updates about us and our area!

No one lost their life, and few buildings were burned due to folks protecting their barns, outbuildings and homes, by keeping them doused with water, but it was a scary time. I remember going back to our house late that night seeing tiny sparks, like candles, all through the woods. Our dear minister was standing in the driveway with my daddy. What a sight:)
Soot stayed in our window sills for years....

The saddest part to me was that Roseland never looked the same till a few years ago....40+ years later:(

And for my other fire story, another time......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Another commenr