Roseland

Roseland

Music

Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Snowy Day

 
Posted by Picasa

After a week of agonizing over whether to cancel a family weekend in Boone/Blowing Rock to celebrate Skye's 23rd birthday, or strike out & attempt it, Keith & I chose to cancel yesterday morning. Being stuck in snowy Boone in a small motel room or an apartment with 3 other people sounded less than fun. Getting home Sunday seemed quite dangerous if the weather was as bad as forecast.

So once the choice was made, I decided to be content to enjoy our first 2010 snow here at home in central NC. I love snow--to me it makes all things look pure, new, clean. It creates quiet.
Peace.
Quiet.
Rest.

It's been sleeting most of this quiet Saturday, on top of last night's 4 inches of snow. I've been computing most of my day, putting on photos & checking out others' snow pictures. No schedule, no time crunch, no work, no meetings....

Soon Keith & I are heading out to explore in the Jeep. Always a fun thing:) We'll take our cameras & check out the beauty of our beautiful snow blanketed world.

I'm copying one of my favorite snow poems below---just insert Jeep instead of a horse:)

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

No comments: