Roseland

Roseland

Music

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Still Alice

I read this book in 2 nights & an afternoon.
It strikes close to home. My mama had Alzheimer's, her mama, her brothers....
My oldest friend has early onset Alzheimer's &, so far, her disease has been mercifully slow progressing. I thought of Judy often as I read Alice's story.

I recommend Still Alice to anyone. This is Lisa Genova's first novel, & it's excellent.

From Simon & Schuster about Still Alice:

"While Alice once placed her worth and identity in her celebrated and respected academic life, now she must re-evaluate her relationship with her husband, her expectations of her children and her ideas about herself and her place in the world.

Losing her yesterdays, her short-term memory hanging on by a couple of frayed threads, she is living in the moment, living for each day. But she is still Alice.

Still Alice is as compelling as A Beautiful Mind and as powerful as Ordinary People. You will gain an understanding of those affected by early-onset Alzheimer's and remain moved and inspired long after you have put it down."

Haunting....

No comments: