Roseland

Roseland

Music

Monday, August 14, 2006

Patience

After Keith and I had spent a rare, relaxing weekend in the mountains celebrating our anniversary, a Monday morning wake-up is not easy!

Skye had asked last night if I'd go with her to Wake Tech to be her 'support' (and 'supporter', as in money:)) as she picked up her ID, parking permit, and books for the fall semester. I had the time and figured it'd be a good time to do some bonding and put in a "Mama" word or two:)

Well, it became a day of class 101, "How To Be Patient"!:)
We waited in line for an hour to have her ID photo taken and receive her parking sticker. It felt like two hours! I finally let the comment fall out of my mouth that I wouldn't recommend that she become friends with the girls waiting in front of us--and I won't go into that here! Let me leave it that I believe one girl knew she had a captive audience.

Next stop, the Bookstore. Amazingly it didn't have a line, so that was our present for the day! Hip, hip, hurray! But there Skye discovered she had signed up for a class she had taken two semesters ago, so we set out for the College Transfer office.

After walking across campus and realizing the office had, over the summer, moved to the building where we had spent most of the morning, we marched back the way we came. When we found the right office, Skye signed in and we began our wait there--- we waited, and waited, and waited. Waiting has a cumlative effect, don't you think?!! I'm pretty sure it does!! It became half an hour. Now the time crunch began, making us more edgy. Skye needed to be at the Y at 2:45 and we were thirty and hungry! It became 45 minutes. I had an appointment with Cameron and Edna to look at townhomes and apartments at 3pm....ugh:( Finally, after an hour, Skye's name was called, the solution was provided quickly, thank goodness, and we escaped to the car!!

All during this experience we mentioned how we should be patient, that everybody needed to learn patience, the it is important to be patient--and there we were, working out how to "do" that word for hours!!!
Were we learning how to do it?
I'm not sure waiting makes me better at it--I get better at being frustrated:( I tend to grit my teeth and tell myself to calm down. I think planning ahead helps. If we'd had a deck of cards, or each of us had brought a book.....that seems to give me a sense of not wasting time. But, as I said to Skye, "We should never wish away our lives away either", and maybe being impatient comes close to that.

Being patient is a hard thing to do well.

No comments: