Roseland

Roseland

Music

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What a haircut

This afternoon Skye and I had an appointment with Dee, our longtime beautician friend, to have our hair cut. On the way over Skye decided, spur of the moment, that this was the day to give up her strawberry blonde curls for Locks Of Love, a non-profit organization that asks for donations of hair to make wigs for people, primarily cancer patients, that have lost their hair. Skye had been growing her hair out for many months and had checked online for donation information. So when we arrived at Upper Cuts, she told Dee 'LOL' required at least a length of 10 inches of hair. After brushing Skye's hair till it was smooth and silky and free of any tangles, Dee, with a good 3 or 4 whacks of a sharp pair of scissors, did the deed :) Skye must have felt 5 pounds lighter--she has such thick hair!!
Hopefully, when we have packaged and shipped her severed ponytail to "LOL", in time it will help someone feel much better:)

As this was going on, in the chair across from Skye and Dee, sat a pretty young woman in the process of getting her hair colored and styled. As her hairstylist, a friendly young man, combed and snipped and brushed and blew, she talked...and talked ....and talked!
Now I'm a Stephen Minister and am trained in listening (which doesn't mean I'm always good at it), but this fella had the patience of Job, I'm thinking! She went on and on, and on---she told him her financial situation, her woes, her dating dramas, her family problems, etc., etc.:( I finally willed myself to tune out and tried hard to focus on Dee shaping and drying Skye's hair.
After the young girl left I told the hairstylist I thought he deserved a nap after all that listening he had done! He agreed!! Listening to someone talk nonstop for at least an hour is emotionally and physically draining!! I do hope the young girl felt better when she left---she left us exhausted in her wake!:( It's like she shifted all her burdens off herself, and onto all of us in that room....then walked away.

I was afraid to say much by the time I sat down in Dee's chair:(

Shhh:) I need some peace and quiet (a quote by Seth)

No comments: